Tuesday 20 January 2009

One song in the style of two nutters...

Not that I'm trying to upstage Gadjo or anything; actually, my enthusiasm for comically bad singing was reqwakened by Scarlet's championing of the divine Mrs Miller. She has a living legacy, the torch being carried on in a slightly wobbly manner by living legends such as the two I present here. Screaming Jay Hawkins was a good musician but with a slightly tenuous grasp on reality. I reserve judgment on these good ladies.

First, we have the lovely Wing, covering ABBA's 'Mamma Mia' in her own inimitable style:


While the same song was also given the Margarita Pracatan treatment some years before:


Wing, bless her, has also tackled AC/DC in her time:

5 comments:

Ms Scarlet said...

I can't believe the word veri I've got - timing!
Anyhow, I was going to do Margarita Pracatan! But I think Wing gets the trophy for the most unusual vocals...
Sx

Gyppo Byard said...

By all means do the divine Margarita again. We must spread her existential Pracatosity as widely as possible...

Gadjo Dilo said...

Hmmm, it's interesting "phrasing" - especially from Margarita, who I've rather taken to. They say that about Edith Piaf as well, so maybe there's still hope for these ladies!

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Ah you've just reminded me who was missing from my Pantheon of Role Models: la Pracatan! I'm rather taken with Wing Han Tsang, perhaps they should get together and form a duet, a sort of Salt 'n Pepa for tone deaf people?

Gyppo Byard said...

Gadjo - who could fail to love Margarita? Such energy, such bonhomie, such charisma - what does not being able to seing matter?

Daphne - I like the way you're thinking. Speaking of bizarre musical marriages, my nephew and I have come up with a musical odd-couple marriage ourselves, and hope to present some work-in-progress soon via Youtube. You have been warned.