Monday 18 January 2010

Dark clouds on the horizon

Reviewing last year's posts on this blog thingummy, I notice a distinct trend of tales of international travel, flippancy and bad puns which turned a little darker at the end owing to the loss of a beloved aunt.

This year promises to be worse, and more serious overall, with the Byard vardo heading towards metaphorical bumpy roads and barricaded campsites. We recently had news that my mother-in-law has been bouncing off various doctors with contradictory diagnoses of her breathing difficulties, varying from "nothing at all to worry about" to "advanced lung cancer". Eventually my sister-in-law accompanied her to Singapore to see a more reliable doctor, who confirmed the worst case scenario of advanced lung cancer. We are now preparing to get out to Indonesia at Easter to see her for the last time. I know that looks melodramatic but it's the exact truth, unfortunately. We are still struggling to cope with the awful finality of knowing a loved one is going to die in the very near future.

Less awful but also not at all frivolous - Djangolina moves up to secondary school in September. Guthlac is in the midst of toilet training, I shall turn 45 and Mrs Byard 40. My Open University studies are moving onto a couple of courses which I don't particularly like the look of but which I have to get under my belt to move on to what I want to do, but on the bright side my own parents will be celebrating their golden wedding anniversary, with my sister and I united in an attempt to convince them to have a 'do' at a hotel *we* like.

Rather than dwell on the bad news and forthcoming grief, I shall conclude by sharing with you instead the worst yodelling ever committed to film (from 6'45" in this short film):

3 comments:

Gadjo Dilo said...

Ay, Gyp, sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's illness, at least she has a caring family to try to seek the best for her. My parents in-law also celebrate their 50th this year.

Ouch. Never work with children or animals.... or agree to lip-synch yodelling.

Kevin Musgrove said...

Ouch, add my condolences, too.

Why do we never see clips like that on MTV?

Gyppo Byard said...

Thank you both. We heard last night she's at least started the effective treatment - we spent a lot of time on the web and phoning medically-qualified friends to try to get as much info as we could about the available therapy. Sorry, I could now bore for England on this subject.

Kevin - we never see clips like that on MTV because it's run by an unholy alliance of long-haired trendy 'yoof' and marketing men who have no taste and no sense of adventure.